A good science teacher should know their subject matter and also other qualities include being passionate about teaching effective curriculum, and standards-based science lessons, showing up for work early and helping their grades to excel.
Some of the qualities which we should look in science teacher can be explained as follows-
- Good listener- Tutoring is a mutual relationship, with listening being a very important aspect. When someone is actively listening, they are engaged and invested in the conversation. It reflects in their body language and the way they respond to you. So, ensure you choose a mentor who actively listens to what you have to say rather than one who merely hears you out.
- Never underestimate their students- As a science tutor, you will probably have to deal with students who struggle with learning. Be careful to not misjudge their capabilities based on things you might have listened to or preconceived notions based on their outcomes at school. Keep an open mind and make it clear that you have high expectations for them from day one. If they see that you don’t doubt their abilities, they are more likely to start believing that they can achieve excellence.
- Adaptability-Teachers should adapt themselves to all students that they are handling. The approach used by professionals depends on the individual needs of students. They should keep track of their students’ progress throughout the sessions. Any approach or plan that isn’t working should be changed.
- Dedication to teaching- A science tutor will seek to understand the strengths and weaknesses of their student, will focus on the areas that will help them improve and to fully understand a subject. They will also take time to examine their strengths and weaknesses and commit to improving their skills and knowledge to be better at passing on their knowledge.
- Communicates with the parents- Tutoring is not simply a matter of attending individual lessons but of communicating their findings along the way. A tutor must communicate well with the parents of their students to ensure their expectations are being met. Tutors that take the time to speak to the student’s parents are often far more successful than tutors that do not.
- Patient-As learning doesn’t happen overnight. Because of this, tutors need to understand that learning will take time and we have to be patient while teaching.
- Be Compassionate & Build Rapport-One of the most important components is chemistry between teacher and student. A good tutor will take the time to connect meaningfully with the student and their families. They will be devoted and empathetic, but also professional and organized. Having a good connection with the student will move a tutor from good to great.
It is concluded that a good science teacher will know how to help your child connect the dots—so the material will make sense. They’ll help your child gain confidence in their skills and help them become more independent.A science tutor in Shivaji Nagar can be selected on the basis of above qualities and excellence in teaching with patience and compassion towards students.