The Maha Mritunjaya Mantra is one of the most powerful and primeval mantras that is mentioned in the Vedas. It is a divine mantra that preaches the Rudra swaroopa (form) of the Supreme Lord Shiva. He is the Higher Consciousness and the Supreme deity in Hinduism. He is a very loving deity and anyone who worships Him with pure devotion and dedication is believed to even escape death and get life as a boon. The boon can be achieved by chanting or doing the Maha Mrityunjaya Japa.
Meaning of Maha Mritunjaya
The word Maha Mritunjaya is made by conjoining three words where the literal translation of the word ‘Maha’ is great, the word ‘Mrityun’ translates to death and the word ‘Jaya’ translates to triumph. Thus, the word means to triumph over death. It is also addressed as the Tryambakam and Mrita Sanjivini as it has the divine ability to restore life in a person who is on the death bed.
Let us learn how the mantra reads along with its translation in English
||ॐ त्र्यम्बकं यजामहे सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनम्
उर्वारुकमिव बन्धनान्मृ त्योर्मुक्षीय मामृतात् ||
|| OM triyambakam yajmahe sugandhim pushTivardhanam,
urvrukamiva bandhann mrrityormokshiya mmrritt ||
What is the Method to Perform the Maha Mritunjaya Japa
Worshipping the Supreme to attain a specific goal needs a strong mindset and willingness to perform it accurately and with pure bhav. Among the various mantras that are associated with Lord Shiva, this mantra is of supreme importance as it holds the ability to offer a range of benefits and offer the gift of life to a dying person. As we all know every mantra has a specific vibration. Similarly, this mantra holds great vibrations that have the power to work wonders in all realms of an individual’s life. Kindly, remember just the way all the mantras have a specific vibration, similarly the Maha Mrityun Jap has a vibration that has the capability to heal.
- In order to perform the Maha Mrityunjaya Japa wake up before dawn at the stroke of 4 am. This ghatika is known as Brahma Mahurata as this is the time when the mind is fresh and there is no distraction from the outside world.
- Now cleanse yourself by taking shower but before that clean the place where you are going to be seated to do the Japa.
- Be seated facing East and apply vibhuti on the forehead. Now hold a glass of water and cover it with the palm of your right palm and chant this mantra. Once you have done the mantra Japa for a count of 108 times, Take off your palm from the glass and sprinkle this water in every corner of your house. Also, give your family members this water to drink. Doing so, keeps all negativity at bay and builds a protective cover around each family member.
- Do the mantra Jap at least 108 times on a Rudraksha mala. The reason to use a Rudraksha mala is firstly because this seed is adored by Shiva and secondly because it helps one to keep a track of the number of times the japa is performed.
- Thirdly, Rudraksha beads vibrate at a frequency that a human body does. It is the only bead that is filled with energy. So, the energies of the mantra and the Rudraksha bead when combined, vibrate on a higher frequency and work wonders and fulfill the wish that is being meditated upon
- Kindly pay attention to the pronunciation of the words, if you pronounce the words or replace them with other words it is considered inauspicious and is said to offer unpleasant results.
Total Number of Counts you need to Chant the Mantra for a Specific Cause
Given below is a list of conditions and the number of counts you need to perform this mantra Japa.
Being Frightened or Having a Constant Fear of Something
Also, the time of repeating the mantra Japa also differs according to the cause for instance if you are scared of a particular thing then you must chant this mantra till 1100 counts as mentioned in the Shiva Purana.
Chanting the Mahamritunjaya for Illness
If you are suffering from a specific illness or someone you know of is suffering from an ailment then performing the Maha Mritun Jap 11000 times while keeping faith is advised.
Chanting the Mahamritunjaya for Fertility
If one is facing problems in conceiving then once can do the Japa of till 150000 counts
Chanting the Mahamritunjaya for Success
Similarly, if you wish to achieve success in your personal or professional life, do the Japa of till 150000 counts
Chanting the Mahamritunjaya for Sudden Death
In order to stay protected from sudden death or death before time, do the Japa of till 150000 counts.
Effects of Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra
- When repeated several times or up to 801 counts, the mantra creates vibrations and makes our wavering thoughts calm, and activates the Navel Chakra. This is the place where the life force of the feminine energy resides. Performing the Mahamrityunjaya Jaap 11 times early in the morning on a regular basis is said to activate the Navel Chakra through the vibrations created by the Japa. This strengthens the life force, wards off diseases, and offers good health.
- It helps the sick to recover from his ill health and offers strength to recover the lost energy force of the body. If a person is critical and cannot perform the Japa on his own, in that case a family member or anyone who is seated beside the sick person can perform the Japa for the count of 108.
- It wards off negative energies and keeps evil forces away. Also, the emotions of gluttony, greed, jealousy, grudge, anger, and like can be nullified making the prana Shakti active and function appropriately.
- Performing the Japa creates a protective shield around the person for whom the Japa is done or for the person who is performing this Japa for self. This helps in preventing accidents and mishaps. It offers protection from ill fate and calamities that are sudden and beyond explanations.
- This pious mantra is so powerful that it also offers peace of mind, allows one to get a hold over the mind and emotions. It also helps in attaining success in every walk of life.
- Above everything, this mantra Japa can bring a person back from his death bed as mentioned earlier, and offer longevity and a healthy life.
- Very few people know this but chanting this mantra can also take care of the financial issues by attracting abundance and wealth
- It also makes one come closer to Higher Self and be in union with the Supreme Consciousness
- It offers spiritual upliftment
Thus, the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra is the most powerful mantra of Lord Shiva which has the capability to put life in death and to mend broken situations.